The Initial Consultation
An in-depth meeting with student and parent(s) to discuss our academically and financially integrative approach to:
- Laying the foundation for admission through pre-application planning and preparation
- Identifying “best fit” colleges / universities
- Preparing college applications that present the best possible case for admission
- Paying for college with a financial plan that emphasizes tax-advantaged saving and maximizes your ability to obtain financial aid and scholarships
We will gather information about the student’s academic abilities, extracurricular activities, strengths and weakness, and initiate a plan of action for gaining admission to a great college, without straining your family’s finances!
Evaluate the student’s career goals and aspirations, academic abilities, social and environmental preferences, likes and dislikes, and other factors, by utilizing interest inventories and self-awareness surveys.
- Assist in the selection of high school courses that will reflect the student’s highest level of achievement.
- Apprise the student of “must use” internet and print resources that will advance their college knowledge and admission prospects.
- Assist in the selection of extracurricular and volunteer/community service activities.
- Assist in planning summer activities / employment.
- Assist in choosing the best method of test preparation (i.e., private tutoring vs. classes vs. self-study) based on the student’s individual needs and circumstances. [NOTE: We do not provide test preparation services, nor are we affiliated with any test preparation service provider, although we can make recommendations/referrals.]
- Assist in planning and scheduling standardized testing (APs, SAT IIs, PSAT, PLAN, SAT Is, and ACTs) that will best demonstrate the student’s college readiness.
College Application Process
Provide college search strategies.
- Identify appropriate target, reach and safety schools and prepare a final list of schools to apply to based on the student’s needs and wants criteria.
- Assist in planning college visits.
- Assist in preparing a Student Resume (Brag Sheet) which highlights the student’s strengths and accomplishments.
- Provide strategic guidance in weighing the pros and cons of applying Early Decision/Early Action/Rolling Admissions.
- Assist in establishing a comprehensive work plan (Schedule and To-Do List) with timelines.
- Assist in completing compelling college applications that distinguish the student and highlight his/her strengths and accomplishments.
- Assist with all essays/personal statements, including topic development and editing until the highest quality is achieved.
- Assist in identifying the best teachers and others from whom to request letters of recommendation.
- Conduct mock interview(s) to prepare for on-campus, alumni, and Skype interviews.
Post Application Details
- Advise students who are deferred or waitlisted on ways to maximize their chance of acceptance.
- If an appeal is required, we offer advice and assistance through that process.
- Advise on completing the college admissions process, including post-acceptance requirements.